Wednesday, March 7, 2007

NEEDS MORE ATTENTION THAN YOUR BITCHY GIRLFRIEND


It started pretty early I suppose, when I was about 7 or so baking “Blonde brownies” with my mother. But it wasn’t enough, roti, saltfish and oxtail with my aunt Mira, rabbit, duck and the maple farm with my grandparents, food had a hold on me I would never understand until now. What no one will tell you is that food talks, you can learn a lot from food, chemistry, climate, society, culture and that’s just a start. Food can tell you how old a person is, where they are from and if they have been in love, but only if you speak the language. Food can teach respect, discipline and honor for anyone who cares to listen. But there is a trade off, once you build a relationship with food it demands attention, fiercely.
I have been avoiding food and it is not happy with me, it keeps me up at night, wanting to talk, wanting to fight, wanting to make love, anything to make me pay attention. The more I ignore it the louder it speaks, so I went to visit and now it is louder than ever.
Granville Island Market is the home of food here in Vancouver and it’s a fifteen minute walk form my house, which makes it extremely hard to ignore, especially when you speak the language. A technicolor array of seasonal organic fruits and vegetables, as well as meat and seafood variety that dominates anything you would find at your local grocer. The extras alone could be worthy of a whole article of coverage all to itself. It was an awesome West Coast reflection of the relationship I had with Toronto’s own St Lawrence Market. I neglect to go into further detail this post is not long enough to do it justice, but don’t fear there is more to come I am not even close to exploring the culinary playground of Vancouver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sonora is calling you terry..... you know you wanna