Monday, February 26, 2007

CONFORMITY ROCKS!?


Dirty Fuckin Hippie, is a phrase that comes to mind often when you live in British Columbia. All too often the mistake is made that these hemp laden tree dwellers are saving the planet one flower at a time. But what if they’re not? What if the culture jammers, counter-culture enthusiasts and moral martyrs we see who have taken it upon themselves to "rage against the machine" and overthrow the system, have been doing just the opposite? In 1969 Donald and Doris Fisher Started selling washed out Levi's jeans from their used record shop "The Generation Gap" in San Francisco, you don't get more hippie than that. By 2005 the company had more than 150,000 employees and 3000 stores in 10 countries, did the Fishers "sell out"? Andrew Potter and Joseph Heath offer another solution in their 2004 non-fiction THE REBEL SELL. Their careful evaluation and comparison of “alternative” and “mainstream” lifestyles brings new light to the extremely tired argument. Using examples spanning from Kurt Cobain to Ninja Turtles and taking critical review of counter-culture icons like Naomi Klein (who in my opinion had it coming), the authors give a spectacular re-evaluation of consumerism that will enrage and provoke both sides of the debate. All that fun stuff aside this book is also just a good read for anyone interested in the evolution of North American economy. To further prove their own theory I bought the book on sight, the Starbucks Cup with classic Che on the front made a great target for filthy little whistle blowers like me who just wanted to get another look at the horrors of “the system”. There is something beautiful in the thought that at one point, the jammers that were rushing stores to slash leather and spit on retail execs were the same people cramming their fat asses into the acid wash jeans that symbolized the rebellious “Gap” in generations that started the company in the first place!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging as far as something that meticulous model. The prices as regards the shoes were around 220 dollars on every page. But finally I found this site selling them for half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the boots are all over 200 bucks on every page. But definitively I set this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good day ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are all over 310 dollars on every site. But definitively I base this area selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that particular model. The prices seeking the boots were approximately 210 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you say about it?